Aginares Me Koukia, from Saveur
6 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
8 medium artichokes (or 10 canned or frozen artichoke hearts, drained and thawed)
½ cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 scallion, roughly chopped
1½ lbs. fresh or frozen shelled fava beans
1 tsp. flour
3 tbsp. minced fresh dill
- Put 4 tbsp. lemon juice and 6 cups water into a large bowl.
- Working with one artichoke at a time, place an artichoke on its side.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the leaves crosswise about 1½” from the top to where the leaves meet the base; discard the leaves.
- Cut away the tougher, dark green leaves until you reach the inner yellow leaves.
- Using a peeler, remove the green outer layer of the stem and base.
- Cut off the bottom ½” of the stem and trim away any remaining green parts from the underside of the base.
- Scoop out fuzzy choke at the center of the artichoke.
- Quarter the artichoke and transfer it to the bowl of lemon water so it does not brown.
2. Drain artichokes.
Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat; add garlic, onions, and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 minutes. Add artichokes and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until artichokes are tender, about 25 minutes. Add fava beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together remaining lemon juice, flour, and 1 tbsp. cooking liquid; add mixture to skillet and cook until liquid is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in half the dill; transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot or at room temperature, garnished with the remaining dill.